Compassionate Advocates. Proven Results.
What Sets Capital Justice Attorneys Apart
Washington, DC Bankruptcy Attorney
Capital Justice is the reliable, trusted, and inspiring law firm it is today thanks to the consistent efforts and dedication of our founder, Anitra Ash-Shakoor. Her years of experience there refined her skills and knowledge regarding mortgages, lending regulations, business law, and consumer bankruptcy law.
Eager to make her mark in the legal world, she gained employment at the Regional Bankruptcy Center of Southeastern Pennsylvania as a law clerk.
Attorney Ash-Shakoor is Dedicated to Giving Back
To further expand her abilities, Anitra Ash-Shakoor also worked with the Center for Community Non-Profit Organizations, headquartered in Philadelphia. She was tasked with assisting clients who ran nonprofits, charitable causes, and other tax-exempt entities find alternative avenues to gain funding and finances. This experience carries over into the work she does today for her small business clients, as well as many newly-formed corporations and LLCs that come to her for guidance.
Throughout her career, Anitra Ash-Shakoor has exemplified what it means to be active in a community. She routinely completes pro bono work with the D.C. Volunteer Lawyers Project and the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Bankruptcy Clinic, which focuses on helping low-income individuals or families file for bankruptcy without having to worry about usual attorney fees. Her name is also known among the ACLU of Philadelphia for her participation in NAACP v. City of Philadelphia – 5th Monitoring Report Pedestrian & Car Stop Audit (December 7, 2000). Anitra Ash-Shakoor also played a prominent role in the legal team that challenged the planned closure of numerous Washington, D.C. public schools.
She is a Northern California native and resides in Montgomery County, MD.
- Juris Doctor- Temple University Beasley School of Law (2001)
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science- Morgan State University (1998)
Professional Memberships and Achievements:
- 2015 Best Business of Washington, D.C. – Bankruptcy Law
- 2016 Washington, D.C. Small Business Excellence Award – Bankruptcy Law
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Greater Washington Area Chapter, Women’s Law Division, National Bar Association
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- National Lawyers Guild
- The District of Columbia Bar
- All District of Columbia State Courts
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois